MAINTAINING GOOD ORAL HEALTH: A CHECKLIST
- Use sugarless candy or chewing gum containing xylitol to stimulate saliva production, especially if you have symptoms of dry mouth.
- Make an appointment with a dentist if you have symptoms of chronic dry mouth.
- Brush your teeth every day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Use an electric or battery-operated toothbrush, especially if you have problems
with manual dexterity.
- Floss your teeth every day. Using floss holders may be helpful for people with stiff hands.
- Ask your dentist about prescription-strength fluoride mouth rinses and fluoride varnishes if you have a history of tooth decay.
- Ask your dentist about using a mouthwash containing chlorhexidine if you have gum disease or are at risk for gum disease.
- All older adults should have a dental cleaning performed by a dental hygienist and an oral health assessment by their dentist at least twice a year.
Remember that good dental hygiene is an important part of healthy aging. There is no substitute for brushing your teeth after each meal and flossing every day.
If you, your family or friends need dental care, we would be honored to provide you with state-of-the-art dental care in our modern dental practice. Refer someone you love to someone you trust!
Presented as a service to the community by Doctors Hoover and Yanda,